Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trek and Layton Timpine

So I need to do some catching up, as usual. Trek. Trek was so incredibly amazing. It really wasn't what I thought it was going to be like but that's okay. So Tuesday morning I headed up to the stake center to find out who's family I'm in and what not. After we found out we sat with our new families and had a little orientation. I don't really remember what they talked about but part way through they dismissed all the real parents and we late found out why they had done that when as we left we were walking through halls lined with our parents singing push forward saints. Then in was on to the buses. One of the buses had problems so we had to get a new one and that added a whole lot of time on so when we finally got to where we were going we were way behind schedule. After another brief orientation we loaded up the handcarts and headed out. It was 2.5 miles of semi-difficult pulling. Following this we set up camp and headed over to the dance which proved to be one of the highlights for me even though it wasn't very long. Then dinner was followed by sleep. The next day was Martins Cove. It was a humbling spiritual experience walking through the cove in silence. Before Trek I never knew that the only two outdoor dedicated areas are Martins Cove and the Sweetwater River crossing. That night when we were all set up at our new camp site the different families all chose a song to sing for everyone else. Music brings the most amazing spirit. My family spent the night just singing every song we could manage. Thursday was supposed to be the hardest day because we had to pull the handcarts for 10 miles but to me it seemed to be one of the easiest. For some reason once I got through the first couple miles it started to become a lot easier for me to keep on going. We had the river crossings as well which were a nice break from the heat. Once we got to camp and had dinner we had a fireside with everyone where the all the bishops that were there spoke to us. Following this we had out own smaller testimony meetings with our families. I'm not going lie. It wasn't as spiritual as I had expected it would be. That's not to say that it wasn't spiritual, just not as much as I wanted. In the morning we headed out and got home at around 2:30. Over all it was a really good experience for me but it wasn't what I had expected.
Yesterday was a pretty uneventful day. I woke up and headed in to work only to find that there wasn't anyone there so I texted Ben (my boss guy) and when he didn't respond I headed home. Once there I got a text from him that we had two burials and that he was off. In a panic of sorts I got into my work cloths again and got up there as fast as I could only to find that Max and some people from Sandy were there and had taken care of everything. Even with that done I stayed til the service was over and helped a little on breaking down everything and getting the lid of the vault. Once this was done I headed home early to get ready for my cabin. I was pretty happy I didn't have to stay for the backfilling and what not cause I just wasn't in the mood. So I got home and was going to go to lunch with Rosie but I guess I hadn't realized that it was like 1:30. Because I had been a little to long at work she was already with Morgan and they were watching Batman Begins in peroration for tomorrow (The Dark Knight). So I ended up just sitting around for a few hours watching TV. I had to wait for Mark and Chelsea to get back from a wedding reception or something like that cause I was catching a ride up with them. Around 7:40 they showed up and off we went.
I think one of my absolute favorite feelings is stepping out of the car up at my cabin and feeling the crisp air and smelling the clean pine scented mountain air. It never fails to bring a smile to my face and lift my spirits. Once I got everything unpacked I immediately sat down and started to read my book. I spent a good hour or two reading taking a break for some dinner. Finally I was forced to stop when I heard a game of Nerts was about to begin. I happily played until my shoulder started to really hurt which made it to hard to play cause I couldn't really move it so much. So I went back to reading and once I got to tired to do that I got ready for bed and fell asleep. This morning I woke up and did a little more reading and then took a shower and got read for church. We headed off up to the Brighton circle where the Chapel is. I can't believe how lucky we were to be there on this particular Sunday. There was a special speaker. Marvin Goldstein who is an internationally acclaimed pianist who also happens to be a professor at BYU. So he gave a short testimony and then played the piano for the last half hour of the meeting. It was incredible. Once again, music brought the spirit into that meeting like nothing else could. He just started playing, going through hymns, primary songs, and the such. It was mind blowing to me how he just started playing what ever he felt would be right. One song blended into another. It was thirty minutes of strait music, no pauses between songs or anything. He was able to just merge the songs on the spot, going from one key to another. I wish I could have recorded it and put it up here cause it was one of those things you just have to hear to really understand. Anyway, once it was over I headed back down to my cabin where I changed and started to read again. I finished my book after an hour or two. I was sorta sad when it was over cause I wanted to keep reading! Once I was done I headed over to join in on a card game Mark, Chelsea, and my parents were playing and it wasn't to long after that that John and Barb showed up. We then started a game of Seafarers of Catan. I lost pretty miserably but it was still fun especially because there was a pretty good thunder/rain storm. I love stormy weather and having it up in the mountains made it just that much better. The rain was beating down on the roof and the lightning was much closer than usual. First there would be a bright flash followed almost instantly by an almost deafening clap of thunder that would shake the windows in their frames and cause everyone to jump.
So in the area of girls...things have finally take a turn for the better. I found out that this person I like actually likes me back. Nothing quite compares to that feeling when you discover that the person you like has the same feelings for you. It's been a very very long time since this has happened to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment